Youth Job Seekers
Our Youth Program is designed to prepare youth in Cochise, Graham, and Greenlee Counties to either enter post-secondary education, training or employment upon completion of their secondary education. The aging of Arizona's workforce is an issue of concern and this program is an instrument toward meeting the future workforce demands. Our Youth Career Advisors provide high-quality services for youth ages 14-24. Youth services are provided to in-school youth ages 14-18 and out-of-school youth ages 16-24. All youth are welcome, and encouraged, to utilize the Job Center.
NO COST SERVICES
The core services include:
- Career exploration and guidance
- Continued support for educational attainment
- Opportunities for skills training, such as pre-apprenticeships or internships for in-demand industries and occupations
- Employment in postsecondary education or a Registered Apprenticeship.
Youth program elements consist of:
- Tutoring, study skills training and instruction leading to the completion of secondary schooling including dropout prevention strategies
- Alternative secondary school services
- Summer employment opportunities directly linked to academic and occupational learning
- Paid and unpaid work experiences including internships and job shadowing
- Occupational skill training
- Leadership development opportunities
- Supportive services
- Adult mentoring for a duration of at least twelve months; that may occur during and after program participation
- Follow up services for not less than 12 months after the participant completes the program
- Comprehensive guidance and counseling, including referral to drug and alcohol counseling and counseling as appropriate to meet the needs of the participant.
Cochise County - Professional Youth Quest (PYQ)
515 E 7th Street
Douglas, AZ 85607
Maria Adams, CWDP
PYQ Career Advisor
2600 E. Wilcox Dr. Room H106
Sierra Vista, AZ 85635
Career Advisor/Center Coordinator
1910 W Thatcher Blvd
Safford, AZ 85546
Resource Aide/Center Coordinator
558 N Coronado Blvd.
Clifton, AZ 85543
YOUTH CAREER CONNECT
The Sierra Vista Job Center is running a nationwide Department of Labor Grant titled Youth Career Connect. The focus of the grant is to help address shortages in the technology field. Cochise County has narrowed the focus to specifically address cybersecurity.
- Cochise College – Associates of Applied Science in Cybersecurity
- University of Arizona – Bachelors of Applied Science in Cybersecurity
- Federal intelligence agencies that have helped develop the program curriculums
- Good grades
- Willingness to work hard
- Be sharp
- Interested in a career in computers
- High School Junior enrolled in Buena HS or Center for Academic Success HS
The grant does not allow for new enrollees after June 2018. Students currently in the program will be assisted until their program completion.
Youth Career Connect Counselor
2600 E. Wilcox Dr. Room H106
Sierra Vista 85635